Friday, June 15, 2012

Failure Is Not The Worst Outcome, Mediocrity Is

Insight From Dropbox: Failure Is Not The Worst Outcome, Mediocrity Is: "I'm a big, big fan of Drew Houston (founder/CEO of Dropbox).  Have known him for many years (well before he started Dropbox) and am honored to call him a friend.  I will cancel plans with my wife to hang out with Drew if he and I happen to be in the same city.  There are only a few people I'd do that for.  (Plus, it helps that she loves the product)."


The article has sparked a lot of interesting discussion on Hacker News and elsewhere.  One point I'd like to clarify:  I'm not suggesting that stable, sustainable businesses with modest growth are a bad thing.  Just that if the business is not something the founder is passionate about -- she should move on.  Life is short.  We don't all need to build the next Dropbox -- but we all should stretch ourselves.  It reminds me of an idea that Tim O'Reilly planted in my head:  Pursue something so important that even if you fail, the world is better off with you having tried.   
What do you think?  Are you stuck in a quagmire of mediocrity?  Should you be hitting the reset button and taking your shot at becoming legendary?

No comments: